Monday, February 4, 2013

Pancake Day

Saturday was Fête de la Chandeleur here in France also referred to as Jour de Crêpes. The French celebrate the presentation of Jesus 40 days after his birth on this date and it marks the official end to the Christmas season. On Crêpe Day people traditionally eat crêpes (a thinner version of pancakes). To commemorate this, at the English academy where I teach I showed the children how to make pancakes. It wasn't my idea, the owner of the school normally does it every year with the children so I was happy to participate. I didn't realize they were so easy to make. She normally uses Larry Moore's recipe (click to see a video on Youtube). You can also see a tiny picture of me making pancakes with the kids at the academy's blog. I'll try to get the hi-res photo to post later. We enjoyed our pancakes with maple syrup and lemon curd, a sort of lemon jam popular in England made with eggs, sugar and fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment